Orders & Customer Service
Do you offer wholesale?
- We wholesale our scented candles, tealights and wax melts across the US. Please visit our wholesale page to apply for an account.
Do you make all the product you sell? Is everything handmade?
- We design and handcraft all our products in Portland, Oregon. We work in small batches to ensure quality and attention to detail. We believe this attention and care produces a high quality product. We feel our high standards is part of what sets us apart from our competitors. To put it plainly, we are perfectionist and nerds with a background in design. We enjoy making high end, quality products with care and learning the best possible techniques. We do things the right way, not the 'fast' way.
Do you offer bulk discounts for weddings and corporate gifts?
- We offer discounts on bulk orders for weddings and corporate gifts. Custom candles are also available. Please send us an email with your request.
Private label candles and custom candles
- We pour private label candles and would love to collaborate to design your custom candle line. Please contact us for more information.
Do you offer exchanges or returns?
- We want to you be happy with your purchase! If you've received the incorrect product, or have received a damaged product due to shipping, please let us know within 5 days of receipt of your purchase. In the case that a product arrived damaged, please send us a photo along with a brief description.
Due to the nature of our products, all sales are final, and we are sorry to say we can not accept returns.
WOODEN WICK CANDLES
- My wood wick candle won't stay lit.
- We love wooden wicks for their subtle crackling sound and wide, modern flame. Wood wicks require a small amount of maintenance to ensure a steady burn: Before you relight your candle, or when burning your candle for long periods of time, you may notice the flame height is getting too low. Simply pinch off the charred/burnt portion at the top of the wick. No special tools are required; fingers work great (allow the candle to cool completely before touching). When you relight your candle, the flame should return to normal. It helps to think of your wood wick candle as a tiny campfire – the wood needs to be exposed to oxygen for a healthy flame.
CANDLE CARE (soy candles & tealights)
- How long do I need to burn my candle for?
- For best results, always allow melt pool to reach the edges of the jar. This will prevent "tunneling" where the candle burns down the center, leaving wax on the edge. Tunneling is caused by lighting the candle for only short amounts of time. We recommend a burn time of 2-3 hours at a time. If you prefer a shorter burn time, with a more mellow scent, we recommend our tealight candles.
What is the proper way to extinguish a candle?
- The best way to extinguish your candle is by gently blowing out the flame. Please don't get fancy and use your fingers to impress your guest.
What ingredients are used in Penrose Candles?
- We use USA-grow natural soy wax with fine fragrances and natural essential oils in our soy based candles and wax melts. All our products are phthalate free.
Do you use essential oils in your scented soy candles and soy wax melts?
- We use premium fragrance oils blended with natural essential oils. Because many essential oils are extremely delicate and burn off at very low temperatures, it's not possible to use only essential oils in our candles.
Are your fragrances phthalate free?
- All our fragrances are phthalate free. Why are phthalates bad? There has been recent concern with the use of high level of phthalates linked to health issues, primarily in children. There are no current regulations against using phthalates in home fragrance products, but we choose not to use them. We use high quality fragrances and natural essential oils.
Can your candle jars be reused?
- We designed our candle jars with the their next life in mind. We encourage you to reuse them in your home. Our ceramics make a great planter or mug and add a modern touch to any room.
How do I clean out and reuse my candle jar?
- After you blow out your candle for the final time, allow candle wax to cool until it is no longer hot and begins to solidify, but don't let it harden completely.
- With a paper towel over your hand, gently scoop out the soft wax into the compost or trash. You may need to loosen the wick tab in order to remove it.
- Wash with warm soapy water. Because we use natural ingredients, the soy wax should easily wash away.
Are your tealights candle cups recyclable?
- Yes, our packaging as well as the tealight cups are recyclable.
How fragrant are Penrose Candles?
- We find that our large candles will fill a medium sized room with out being overpowering. For larger room with high ceilings we recommend two candles for a stronger scent. TIP: High ceilings can effect the scent throw of your candle, as warm scented air tends to rise. Turning on the ceiling fan can push some of the scented air back down.
Modern Wood Wax Warmers & Scented Soy Wax Melts
Are your candle warmers solid wood?
- Our electric wax warmers are handmade from solid, American grown Black Walnut, White Oak and Maple.
Where can I get a replacement or extra melting dish?
- Because our soy melts can be used over and over until no more fragrance remains, it can be handy to have an extra melting dish to quickly change out scents. Replacement melting dishes can be purchased here.
Where can I get replacement wax warmer bulbs?
- Our bulbs should last a long time, but if they do burn out, a replacement can be purchased here.
How can I tell the electric wax warmer is on? Does it glow?
- Our candle warmers will emit a beautiful soft glow from the base of the warmer and through the porcelain melting dish. The sides are opaque, solid hardwood. The perfect flameless candle solution for dorm rooms, offices and homes.
How fragrant are Penrose soy melts?
- We find 1 to 3 melts will fill a large room or office. If you prefer a subtle scent, we recommend starting with just 1 square in your tart warmer. Wax can be reused until no more fragrance remains.
How do I clean wax out of the warming dish?
- To avoid messy spills, we do not recommend moving the dish or warmer while the wax is in it's liquid state. Turn off the warmer and let the wax cool until it begins to solidify. Once in this "slushy" state, it can easily be wiped out with a paper towel. Clean with warm soapy water.
- Alternatively, you may remove the wax in it's solid state as a "puck" to be reused at a later date. Place the dish in the freezer for 20 minutes. Wax will shrink slightly and begin to pull away from the edge of the dish. You may need to gently pry with the end of a spoon if the wax is stuck. Soy wax is biodegradable.